Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I have been anxiously awaiting Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Seth Grahame-Smith's follow up to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Seriously, any literary mash-up combines my two favorite things, which are english lit and campy B movie monsters. I mean, Does it get any better?

AL:VH looks promising, despite mostly tepid reviews. Personally, I love a good slayer -- makes me a reminiscent of Sunnydale's finest. Based on the few reviews I've seen, it seems like Honest Abe has the essential slayer elements  -- namely, strength and fighting skills, a nice-guy vamp which serves as his tourguide into all things fangy, plus a motive and setting which makes slaying pivotal to mankind's future in this instance, since the vampires are trafficking slaves in addition to feeding on the living.  The stakes are high, if you will, for Abe Lincoln to kick some vampire ass.

Plus, I love anytime we are given another identity for John Wilkes Booth.  One of my favorite references from Zoolander:
J.P. Prewitt: The truth is male models have been assassinating world leaders for over 200 years. Abe Lincoln wanted to abolish slavery, right? Well, who do you think made the silk stockings and powdered wigs worn by our early leaders?
Derek Zoolander: Mugatu!
J.P. Prewitt: [pauses] Slaves, Derek. So they hired John Wilkes Booth to do Mr. Lincoln in. The first model/actor! Dallas. 1963. John F. Kennedy.
Matilda: Lee Harvey Oswald wasn't a male model.
J.P. Prewitt: You're goddamn right he wasn't, but the two lookers who capped Kennedy from the Grassy Knoll sure as shit were!
I also want to thank the makers of the seriously awesome trailer below, since this story could possibly land in camp-movie history. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment